Thursday, December 13, 2012

This Christmas: You Can Wish Me, "Happy Holidays."

[Drafter’s Note: I’ve tried 3 times to make this blog post work. It’s weird to defend why you don’t get defensive about something. You’re almost certain to put someone--likely starting with yourself--on the offensive. But tonight is Grinch night--just watched Boris, and Carrey is waiting for me--and it got me thinking about how we celebrate a holiday, and how we can make it something it’s not.]


I’m not going to get offended when you wish me “Happy Holidays” this year. I just wanted to let you know that ahead of time, because I feel like in some circles this has become an offensive phrase, one to be corrected with a harrumph and rolled eyes--the true spirit of any good holiday. And I’ll wish the same back to you, unless I know what you celebrate, because it would be weird for me if you wished me a Happy Bodhi Day on the basis that you’re Hindu. I wouldn’t be offended, I suppose, but it wouldn’t mean much. So I won’t wish you what I’m celebrating, because it might not be yours to celebrate. (Don’t get me wrong--you’re welcome to join me. SPCN has a great Christmas Eve service, and I make some awesome gingerbread.) 

What I may do, if I’m bold enough, is apologize to you on behalf of people I’d otherwise call brothers and sisters, who may have replied to your greeting in frustration or correction. It turns my stomach to hear the name of this holiday I love--the celebration of the birth of my savior, no less--spoken in that tone of aggression, and I hope you realize it wasn’t really directed toward you. After centuries of being the clear favorite, a push for diversity acceptance can sometimes feel like we’re being tossed onto the street, when in fact it’s just a matter of making room for other people at the table. 

So I’ll wish you, “Happy Holidays,” or perhaps even better, I’ll pause in the race and rush and ask you what you celebrate, how you celebrate, what you’re looking forward to. Because odds are, even if we share the same phrase, we celebrate differently. I hope your celebration is true and real for you, that it brings you to a place of peace and community, that it is more than motions and sayings but that it binds you and changes you a little every year, that it makes you a better you and draws you to the divine. 

In an unbroken world, we would sit and talk about our hopes and expectations and frustrations with our respective holidays. We would laugh and tear up, nod enthusiastically or raise an eyebrow in question, but leave the conversation knowing each other better. But there’s a line behind me and a traffic jam in front of you and if we’re not careful, we’ll each wind up only wishing each other a good holiday and not actually having one. So peace be with you. May you know you are not alone, and know that you are loved. May you celebrate. May you have laughter. And may you be happy, whatever your holiday.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to explore the ramifications of the modern notions of the "Christmas" holiday...
    because historically, it's always been about Christ's birth, right? The only other holiday I remember coinciding with Christmas was Hanukkah. Now, there is Kwanzaa, Bhodi day (did you make that up?)...and it is hard (for some, for me) to blur the line between what the holiday is and what the holiday REALLY is, if you know what I mean. Happy Holidays works generically, but I always say "Merry Christmas, God Bless You" as a personal testimony to Who and what I celebrate...I promise not to be offended if someone says "Happy Kwanzaa" back to me, as long as I am living out the truth of my celebration of Jesus' birth in my own little corner of the world. That's ok too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robbie--thanks for the comment! In all, agreed--the tone of what we say surpasses the words we use. And you touch on another idea I tried to shove into the same post, but ended up pulling (another post, perhaps) -- that Christmas, at this point, is celebrated not only in different ways but with different intentions. For most, it's a family celebration, a cause to give gifts and overeat (admittedly cynical breakdown); for fewer and fewer does it have any connection to a faith system, so what kind of holiday are we defending so mercilessly? Food for thought...

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, coz, mostly for the utilitarian reason that Christmas and New Year's fall a week apart, thus making a plural amount of holidays in which to be happy...and it's faster to say "Happy Holidays" than "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, too--few of us celebrate a single day in December and then shut down. "Holidays" is so inclusive! :)

      Delete