Friday, March 16, 2012

16 Happinesses (Slice 16)

It's late, and I'm not feeling wordy, so methinks it's time for a list slice. Today, I'm going with 16 things that have made me happy/grateful in the recent past. No particular order...

1. Two close family members getting jobs, after long months of prayer.

2. Coming up with a justification for starting another cross-stiching project (thank you, Pinterest), with hopes of avoiding the line from "Mansfield Park" that I inevitably think of while working: that a woman stitches things "of little use and no beauty.

3. Writing everyday, and getting feedback and support and love from friends, family, and strangers.

4. Getting totally wrapped up in a great television story--the newer "Battlestar Galactica." Don't judge until you've tried it--and getting a little weepy at the series finale tonight.

5. My Bleu Cheese Bacon BBQ Burger with sweet potato fries from Shay's today. Totally hit the spot.

6. Knowing that my sister-cousin is getting some help in her moving & late pregnancy stress from a friend I connected her with--God is good, even on the other side of the country. :)

7. Catching up on the backlog of flagged emails in my inbox today. I need to stop using the Flag function to mean, "I don't feel like doing this right now..."

8. Finishing my brother & sister-in-law's Christmas present--something I started for an unknown recipient 5-6 years ago. A long road, but I'm happy with the end product.

9. Wondering what to make for dinner tonight, and hearing Harrison Ford (from "Morning Glory") saying, "Frit-TA-tta." Roasted kale, brocolli, onions, and garlic, added the eggs with seasonings and siss cheese... Good idea, Harry.

10. Switching over to all-natural/organic hygiene products. 10 days in, and skin & hair are clearly much happier.

11. Having the thought last night, as I made a delicious dinner on the fly, that my future husband was somewhere heating up leftover pizza. (I don't know that this is true, of course, and the thought didn't make me happy, exactly, but having it did... if that makes any sense...)

12. I had a really nice dream last week: nothing big on plot points, but I was sitting on a couch holding hands with a man who loved me, and a little girl (not ours--but one we knew well) was laughing as she sat in between us and climbed around and over our arms.

13. Reading a thoughtful, sensible review of the "Blue Like Jazz" premiere at SXSW. I've been very concerned about it, but I'm holding out hope. I won't like it as much as the book--I don't think that's possible--but I'll try. :)

14. I booked my tickets for our biggest show of the year, which are also my tickets to go see my mom & our family in Iowa for a week in May.

15. I get to wake up early tomorrow, to meet Julie to go to Aurora Provisions before spending a day being crafty & productive before spending tomorrow evening with Esther watching Shakespeare movies. Who needs lazy-day Saturdays?!

16. When I started this list, I thought, "You really should have done this earlier in the month--16 things?? How far back are we reaching??" Answer: about 8-9 days, and it took me about 10 minutes. I'm pretty darn blessed if I do say so. And I do.

3 comments:

  1. Your gratitude list runs deep and wide - I'm sure many of these touch upon others lists of things they are thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me that I have Battlestar sitting around the home, and it's been a long time since I got back into it. (My wife doesn't like it and my kids are not quite old enough ... although maybe now they are).
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. "not feeling wordy" and "10 minutes"! I certainly would not characterize your list as wordy, but it a lot of words for 10 minutes! And the words say so much! Thanks for the reminder to look for the things we can be so thankful for in everyday life.
    Thanks for acknowledging God's goodness in the midst of it. Thanks for slipping in hope for the future, too. Wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete