Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thumbs of a Normal Color (Slice 14)

This is going to be a quick slice, because I have been up late every night this week, and it's starting to take it's toll!

I bought seeds today--nothing fancy, just some basil and parsley, and potting soil and seed starters and some flower pots. And I'm excited about having plants--they're just herbs, after all, and they'll be contained--but I have this lingering expectation that I'll screw them up somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I love the IDEA of gardening, but I'm stymied by a few things:
A) I really don't like bugs. I don't freak out (unless they're centipedes--my fear of things is largely based on leg number), but I don't much like them, and my normal justification is that they're fine, I just don't like them in my house. But when I'm out in their space, I get a little nervous. No excuses.
B) I have a tendency to start strong on things, and then space out/get lazy/get distracted/forget/lose interest. And gardening does not cater to that mindset. Anyone can stick little pinches of promise into the dirt, and anyone can munch on a cucumber, but it's the months of work in between that separates the gardener from the grocers.

Okay, I lied, two things. Be that as it may, I'm attempting, and I'm starting out early and small. I figure if the herbs turn out well, I'll still have time to try my hand at more advanced vegetative matter--and dare I say, legitimize finally buying a Topsy Turvy--before it's too late in the season.

And if I fail... well, there's always the Portland Farmer's Market...

1 comment:

  1. I like your "little pinches of promise"! You will get such satisfaction when you cut some herbs to add to your recipes.

    ReplyDelete